Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

Yards Brewery - Brawler

Before the start of my spring semester, I headed home to Philadelphia to spend some time with my parents. My trip home was made even sweeter when my sister decided to come home for the weekend as well.

On Saturday, all four of us headed into the city to try out some new sites. On our list was the Yards Brewing Company, a local Philadelphia brewery that opened in 1994 and recently has become one of the most popular choices in Philly. They specialize in British style Ales. If you want to learn more about British style ales, check out this article by Serious Eats.



Pulling up, I was immediately enamored by the Cow & the Curd food truck outside of the building. Every Saturday, Yards host a food truck to offer delicious eats outside their tasting room. While the Wisconsin Cheese Curds weren’t my cup of tea, it upped my impression of the company.

The tasting room inside continued to impress me. The large open area boasted a pool table, foosball, and table shuffleboard. Tables and bars were set up throughout the room and an L-shaped bar filled the back wall.


Walking into the room, we were all handed a sample of theYards Brawler. I was skeptical of try it. I prefer pilsners and pale ales, but this was a dark red/brown color and smelled of caramel. I am so glad I tried it out. I loved it and made sure to grab a pack to bring back to North Carolina.


The Brawler has a sweet caramel taste with a little bit of mocha flavor. The hints of caramel in the taste are evident in the smell of the beer as well. What I find most interesting about the beer is that as your drink it develops a roasted malt flavor that overpowers the aftertaste. 


It pours with a great foam top that leaves a slight yeasty film over the beer as it fades away. Even out of the bottle, the Brawler maintains its dark red color and it's a very clear body. Overall, I was very impressed with the Brawler. It is light, crisp, and easy to drink. 


I give the Brawler a 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment