Pages

Friday, March 6, 2015

The Elusive Fried Egg

I've always had a difficult time making eggs. I've always assumed that eggs are a food that don't need attending to. Turns out that that assumption is wrong. I have learned from my mistakes.

Last week I sent a bragging photo to my mom of my Saturday morning breakfast: two fried eggs with sausage and potato hash.


Since then my dad has been demanding fried eggs, but my mom has been having some trouble getting them right. I had her walk me through her egg process and she was forgetting a vital ingredient: oil/butter. Can you even fry and egg without the frying medium?

There are many aspects that play into the perfect fried egg.

The Pan
In my dreams, I own a cast iron pan of all shapes and sizes. A cast iron pan is going to provide the best disbursement of heat for your egg. Failing a cast iron pan, a ceramic non-stick pan will help you make the perfect flip without breaking the yolk.

Oil/Butter
Don't be afraid to use more oil or butter than you find necessary. It might be a little on the unhealthy side, but the taste will make it worth it. If the oil settles in one area of the pan, this is where you should crack your egg.

The Spatula
Use a flat silicone spatula. It will slip under the egg beautifully and give you the perfect flip.

Heat
There are so many different theories about what temperature you should fry eggs at. Many experts say that the egg should be cooked for 30-seconds at high heat. While I don't disagree, I do have a slight fear of sizzling oil which prevents me from focusing on cooking. I prefer to cook my eggs at medium heat over a longer period of time. I wait until the edges of the egg begin to brown and then flip the egg for 1 more minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment