Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Crispy Baked French Fries


For many years, I have been trying to find the perfect baking technique for crispy french fries. I’ve tried parboiling the potatoes, microwaving them in oil, coating them in a multitude of batters, and various combinations of other methods, but nothing has met my expectations. Some have come close, but I was searching for that golden brown crispy outside with the fluffy insides that I was beginning to think could only be achieved by frying them in oil.

I was so close to giving up on my journey for the perfect french fry, until a lazy Sunday morning and bout of boredom led to the holy grail of fries.

The key to the process is a double soak to remove the starch from the potatoes and a second coating of olive oil while baking. It does take a bit of forward thinking, but I promise you the results are worth it. I may or may not have eaten the entire batch in one sitting and I have no regrets about that decision.

Ingredients (2 servings)
1 large potato
olive oil
salt
pepper
chili powder
garlic powder
basil
ancho chili powder

It's very important that you're oven be hot, so don't skip on the preheating process and turn your oven up to 450°


I like to keep the skin on the potato when making fries. If you are going to keep the skin, give your potato a good hard scrub to remove any dirt and residue. If you prefer a cleaner cut, skin your potato before slicing it.


When working with a large potato I find it easier to cut it in half, along it's width, before slicing. It's important to try and keep your slices uniform, so that all of the fries will cook at the same speed. I like my fries just a little thicker than a shoe string cut, so I aim for each slice to be about the width of my pinkie finger.


Again, a uniform cut will save you from a mix of burnt and undercooked fries. On the second cut, I try to cut each piece to 1/4". Using a large potato this will yield about 6 fries from each slice of potato. If you have to decide between a slightly large fry or discarding a bit on the end, I choose to discard the extra potato.

I was in the Kitchen Collection store the other day and amongst an assortment of gadgets I cannot rationalize buying (even though I really want them) was a French Fry slicer by Hamilton Beach that could speed up the slicing process.


This step is where the magic happens. The double soak. Place all of your potato slices in a bowl and completely cover them with cold water. Allow them to soak for 30 minutes before draining the water. You'll notice that the water is a murky grey color, this is the starch being drawn out. 

Fill the bowl again so that all of the potatoes are covered and place the bowl in the fridge for 2-4 hours. I believe 2-4 hours is the optimal time for the second soak, but it can be done in anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours, depending on how much time you have available.


After you drain the water from the bowl, use a paper towel to dry the fries. Place them on a towel and use a second paper towel to blot off all of the excess water. Make them as dry as possible, but do not squeeze the water out of them. 



Next, it is time for the spices. I prefer a zesty french fry, but you can use whatever spices you prefer. I use a nickel sized serving of each spice, tossed in a bowl to completely cover the potatoes. After you apply your spices add olive oil until the fries are completely covered.


On a piece of parchment paper, spread out the fries so that none are overlapping and each has some room around it. Use more than one baking sheet if necessary. The extra room will ensure that each piece cooks evenly and achieves the perfect crisp.

Place both baking sheets in the oven for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, removing the baking sheet from the oven. Flip the french fries over and drizzle olive oil over them.

Place them back into the oven for another 20-30 minutes depending on your preference. I like my fries well done, so I place them back in the oven for the full 30 minutes.


Finally, you have the perfect crispy baked french fries. Utter gold. Add your choice of dipping sauce and go to town.




No comments:

Post a Comment