Pages

Friday, February 13, 2015

Cooking for One

Cooking for One

It doesn't have to be too much trouble


I love cooking. I find it so relaxing and also exciting to try out new recipes and pair together odd ingredients. But, most of the cookbooks and recipes out in the blogosphere are for 4 to 6 servings. I don't need a enchilada casserole for four, I need recipes for one.

Being single and preparing regular meals doesn't have to be "too much trouble". I have collected a series of blog post that offer some great tips to help bring variety and ease to cooking for one.

The Kitchn 

The Kitchn is a great food resource run by Maxwell Ryan and Sara Kate Gillingham. Beyond recipes, they offer advice on kitchen hardware, how-to's, and shopping advice. Their 5 Essential Tips in Cooking For One offers advice on leftovers, planning ahead, and how to spice up your cooking schedule. My favorite tip, is to cook on back-to-back nights, which allows you to switch up leftovers during the rest of the week.

SparkPeople

SparkPeople offers practical tips on everything from cooking to buying bulk supplies. Their safety tips on storing and thawing leftovers has helped me avoid a few major mistakes when storing soups and stews.

Apartment Guide

I know it seems odd, a real estate website offering cooking advice, but their tips on single serving sizes has some great tips. There was a pretty big learning curve when I was learning what could and could not survive in the freezer. I threw out many a freezer burned chicken breast before I began wrapping them individually. This guide has a list of the best foods for the freezer and how to prepare them. Check out their guide to dining alone too.

No comments:

Post a Comment