Pages

Friday, April 3, 2015

Hatchery Box- March

During my time in the Peace Corps, I came to love receiving mail. Talking with friends and family through phone calls and emails was great, but letters were even better. Packages were downright amazing. A simple Wednesday was easily transformed by a phone call from the post woman asking me to come collect my mail.

Getting a Hatchery Box is nearly as good as getting a package filled with Hershey bars and Herr’s Potato chips in Kyrgyzstan.


I was so excited to unpackage the March Hatchery Box and I was not disappointed in my finds.



I'll admit, I was a little put off by the term "drinking vinegar". I wasn't sure what to do with it. Was I supposed to just open it up and knock it back? The answer is no. This drinking vinegar is meant to be mixed with a cocktail or used to braise meat. Once I figured out how this ingredient is meant to be used I was super excited. Now I just have to figure out which way to use it. Should I mix it with my Zubrowka Vodka for a killer cocktail or braise pork chops to bring the spice of apple pie to the meat? So many options, such a small bottle. I might be ordering up the full-sized version of this one.


I love Greek food. All of the spices, the light taste, the fresh ingredients - yum! I was delighted to see this seasoning package and the recipe care featured with this month's box looks delicious. My mouth is watering just thinking about the chicken souvlaki that awaits me in the future. While this seasoning was originally developed for eggs, it is also recommended for chicken, fish, and lamb.


Perfect timing! I just bought the ingredients for homemade pretzels this past weekend but haven't had the chance to whip them up yet. Now that this mustard has arrived, I'm even more intent on getting the baking soda going for a soft pretzel bath. I don't eat or cook with mustard often, but there's nothing like the sweet tang of a good mustard on a hot, salty pretzel. East Shore Specialty also recommends using the mustard with sandwiches, pork, and burgers.


Growing up, I was never a big fan of fruit spreads, marmalade, and jelly. Kyrgyzstan changed my point of view. Hiking into the mountains and picking your own strawberries for jam, makes it that much sweeter. This apricot spread is delicious. I had some on toast for breakfast this morning and I was not disappointed. I have just enough left to top off some pancakes this weekend. I'm so excited.


Is there anything more perfect than salted caramel? On ice-cream, apples, brownies -- my mouth is watering. This was the first package that I unwrapped from the Hatchery Box. The Sels Gris Caramel is a little dark for my preferred taste, but it is still a winner. I've used it hot and cold on ice-cream and apples and enjoyed it both ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment